From 1940 – 1944 both Teddy and Harry Field were kept busy brewing beer for the local RAF stations war effort. The third public house added to the estate was The New Inn, ward Street, Coseley in 1944, it was bought ‘slightly bomb damaged’ for £2500 from Samuel and Sarah Timmins.
Post War Development – 1945
Edwin Holden’s bottling Company was formed in 1945. Clara Holden’s brothers Samuel and Wilfred Hammond installed the bottling plant at the rear of the Park Inn and the Company bottled not only the Holden’s range of beers but national brews for distribution to clubs, free houses and wholesalers. Samuel, Wilfred and Teddy formed the Board of directors of the Bottling Company. In August 1966 Sam Hammond died unexpectedly aged 52 years old having been a Director for 21 years and being involved with the Midland Bottlers Association and The national federation of Bottlers.
Sam’s son Paul succeeded him in the Bottling Company taking over the Bottling in 1967 after spending two years at Phipps of Northampton Brewery as a student Brewer.
Paul and his son Mark have worked tirelessly over the last 5 years together to completely refurbish and overhaul the bottling line as equipment and methods have changed greatly over the last few years. The Company now bottles for many well established Breweries alongside a lot of smaller micro and craft brewers.
On 9th September 1945 Edwin Holden was born to Teddy and Clara. In 1946 Teddy added two more pubs to the Holden’s estate; – The Green Dragon, Cross Street, Bradley (Sold in 1971) and The Old Mill, Windmill Street, Upper Gornal; – Now renamed The Mill and fully refurbished in 2014.
In 1949 The Blue Gates Inn, Church Street Dudley (Closed Nov 1960), The Rose and Crown, Bank Street, Brierley Hill and The Miners Arms, Ruiton Street Lower Gornal (Recently renamed the Chapel House) were added to the Holden’s estate.