Golden Glow 4.4%
An 18ct gold, golden ale with subtle yet fragrant hop aromas, a moreish gentle sweetness and an almost citrus like pleasant bitter finish.
An amber premium beer with robust malty overtones and a bitter sweet full bodied taste.
It was in 1898 with the marriage of Edwin Holden to Lucy Blanche Round that the name became linked to the licensed trade. Lucy's father, who had a long-established reputation in the trade, persuaded them to take the tenancy of a public house.
For the next seventeen years, they were tenants in various pubs, as well as being active members of the local community.
However, there were dramatic changes when they purchased the freehold of the Park Inn at Woodsetton in 1915. This proved to be an exciting new turning point for them, for this was a pub and brewhouse. As the locals developed a taste for their ale, so the brewing equipment was enlarged from within the cellar to adjoining buildings, which had been previously used as a maltstore by Atkinsons Brewery.
However, six months after moving to the Park Inn in 1920 Edwin unfortunately died, leaving Lucy and their son, Edwin (later to be known as Teddy) to carry on the business. Lucy took over the Licence and Teddy left Dudley Grammar School shortly after for Birmingham University.
Lucy proved to have a strong business head on her shoulders. Over the next three years and through great personal endeavour she was able to purchase The Painter's Arms in Coseley from Butlers Brewery for her son (returning from Birmingham University) after earning his brewing colours.
Lucy unfortunately died only months after Teddy returned from University, leaving him and his new wife Clara to take over at the Park Inn, and the Painters Arms.
A new era emerged. Times were then changing, of course. The war years were upon us and the local RAF bases were kept supplied with Holden's! This was the decade that saw the company's expansion and the establishment of Edwin Holden's Bottling Company, which was to bottle the Brewery beers, also those of National Brewing Companies. For further inofrmation visit the website.
Before his death in 1981, Teddy had acquired several public houses including The New Inn, Rose & Crown, The Trumpet and had extended the Brewery to cope with increased demand.
His son, Edwin, joined him in 1965 after serving his apprenticeship at McMullens Brewery in Hertford. Together they increased the estate from the then nine houses and re-equipped the Brewery to cope with modern brewing methods, and to include quality control systems, which were of paramount importance in the desire for consistency of product.
Edwin purchased a further four pubs during the 1980's. He was fortunate enough to have three children; Jonothan Edwin, the eldest, has worked at the brewery for 15 years having served his apprenticeship at Morrells Brewery. Jonothan and Edwin went on to increase the Holden's estate, which include the acclaimed Great Western and Codsall Station.
Jonothan has been instrumental in the development of new products notably Golden Glow and also the increase of supply to the free trade. Jonothan is married to Kathryn and has two daughters and a son. Jonothan's sisters Lucie and Abi are both working Directors of the company and mother Therese is Company secretary.
The Holden family maintain their hands on approach to the business with all of the family involved in the day to day running of the estate. The Holden's tied estate now stands at 20 pubs
Watch this space for further developments!!
A bold chestnut-red mild with nutty biscuit notes with a delicious hint of chocolate.
An impressive golden straw coloured medium bodied ale, brewed using the finest English Maris Otter malts and choicest Fuggles.